One of the saddest traits of Americans is the abandonment of beautiful architectural fragments of our history, for new and shiny buldings that lack the character, charm, and intricacy of old building styles. This beautiful church now lies unused, and although deemed by the state as a "historical site" it is not being kept up.
St. Mary's Church began as a mission of the Catholic diocese of Grand Rapids. The first church was built around 1884. The parish grew to become a predominantly Polish congregation while under the pastorate of Father Casmir Skory (1892 - 1905). In 1893 Father Skory founded the St. Mary's School, which was served by the Dominican Sisters. Father Skory was instrumental in the planning and construction of this church in 1900.
The Neo-Gothic St. Mary's Catholic Church has been a Gaylord landmark since it was dedicated on September 15, 1900. When the Diocese of Gaylord was established in 1972, the church became the cathedral. The diocese built a new cathedral in 1976 and closed St. Mary's. In 1985 a local group, fearing the building would be razed, purchased it for use as a performing arts center, which they named the Mount Carmel Centre.
Week six submission to #Mission52
's photo a week challenge.
Other points of architectural interest: